Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Picture of the Day

A picture is worth a thousand words as they say and this picture is probably worth much more. After looking through several different pictures trying to decide on one to pick for discussion, I found myself being drawn back to this one constantly.  I think it embodies the metal genre as a whole. Metal is often viewed as harsh, hard, or brutal. This picture definitely has the harsh part of that. Being out on that mountain would be cold and brutal for sure. I feel that being on that mountain would be like disconnecting from the rest of the world; it is just you and the mountain. Sometimes this is how I feel when I'm listening to music. I often find myself just completely absorbed into the song and separated from everything else that is occurring.

I feel this picture reminds me more of the black and power metal subgenres than any others. One band in particular that this picture reminds me of is the band Immortal. I feel as if they wrote their songs while looking at pictures like this. It's not hard to imagine though, being they have songs with titles such as "Antarctica" and "At the Heart of Winter". Both of these songs and many others by Immortal seem to capture the immensity of a giant snow covered mountain and the vast emptiness that surrounds it. The songs just make you look at the mountain in a sense of awe.

These are just some of the things I love about this type of music. I don't think you'd find a song in any other genre that would allow you to picture something like this when you listen to it.


1 comment:

  1. Although I do not listen to metal music, I agree that when I listen to music I am totally disconnected for the world. When I listen to music, it draws me to a place and time in my life. It may bring up good or bad memories, but it envokes in me, what I am feeling at that moment.

    ReplyDelete