Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How did it end up like this?

Metal music. It's not something I'd say everyone is into these days. I started my descent into this genre back during my junior high/high school days when my friends and I first started listening to radio rock and discovered the band Metallica. My friends tended to stay near the more mainstream music while I began to venture out in search of music in a similar variety to Metallica. I didn't know at the time that my first steps into exploring thrash metal would lead to me listening to all kinds of subgenres such as death, black, progressive and more as time passed.

I try to keep an open mind when listening to a metal band for the first time, but everyone has their likes and dislikes. With my love of music in general and this genre specifically, why not start a blog about it? I hope to try and update this with current news regarding metal such as new album information, concert and tour dates, what is going on with band members' lives, breakups and new members, publicity stunts, and all sorts of other things regarding what's happening in the metal world. I may even update on new bands I am listening to and try to introduce them to new listeners who may enjoy their style.

Blogging is still relatively new to me so we will just have to see how all of this progresses as I get a feel for what I want to post.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Gabe. Good to see another blog about music in the class. I admit I don't know much about the metal genre, but I'll be interested to see what you have to say about it. I know of Metallica, but that's about the extent of my knowledge of metal bands. Any suggestions for other bands I should check out? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nathan. It somewhat depends on what era of Metallica you're interested in listening to. Their earlier albums were much more thrashy as compared to stuff from more recent albums. Most people would probably tell you to check out Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer as they were some of the most popular metal bands during the 1980s. I'd also recommend Iced Earth, Demons & Wizards, and Pantera as they were some of the first bands I found when I was looking for new music.

      If you're more into the newer era of Metallica(Load album and everything after) I'm probably not going to be much help. Their sound got much more rockish. Best I could recommend maybe would be Godsmack, Mudvayne, and Soil.

      Delete
  2. As a fellow fan of metal music, I enjoy discussions of the genre and the many subgenres it contains. Personally, I tend more towards progressive and alternative metal, though I occasionally like good heavy or melodic death metal as well.

    What interests me most about a blog like this is getting to know the author and their personal tastes. Discussions of recommended bands and albums are always quite fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm much more into progressive now than I used to be. My early subgenre focus was all about thrash as mentioned above which later led to melodic death like Soilwork, In Flames, and Scar Symmetry. I don't feel like I'm really focusing on anything specific right now, just looking for anything that rocks.

      Delete