Thursday, March 8, 2012

Metal on my Mind Monday....late again

Today I'm looking into a band that I got the sudden urge to listen to, then never really did. However, tonight while I was working and had my music playing in the background, several songs by this band played that I had never really given a proper listen to. They were pretty catchy so I'm catching up on some music that I've been missing out on recently. Today it's all about King Diamond!



Now this is one weird ass band. If you've listened to any of the video above I'm sure the first thing that comes to your mind is "WTF at these vocals". I agree, the super high pitched little girl vocals aren't exactly something I'd expect from a metal band. But that's what makes King Diamond so unique. It's what makes this band stand out like it does.

The whole reason I had the desire to start listening to this band was because of the movie Clerks 2.They play the above song in a few different scenes during the movie and I always enjoyed hearing it, but never knew who sang it. After finally educating myself, I thought "This is pretty good....I better go check out the rest of his stuff!"

So I obviously haven't been listening to much of his other stuff for long yet, but his album "Them" is probably my favorite so far. The music is pretty much just straight up heavy metal with maybe a hint of thrash. Many of the members in King Diamond were together in a band before this called Mercyful Fate that had a very similar sound. I have no doubt that after some more listens to King Diamond I'll head off and check out Mercyful Fate's discography to see how it compares.

This is one band that I need to listen to some more before I can get a clear idea of what exactly I think of them. They do have some good stuff though, so I'll probably be listening to this stuff for the next few days on my IPod.

A face any mother could love.




No comments:

Post a Comment